Wednesday 23 October 2013

Cats on a plane

I think most people reading this know that I'm a cat lady.  If you didn't know that, shame on me for not regaling you with stories about my fur babies!  A bit of background: Cameron is my 15 year old boy, a laid back brown tabby with a recently diagnosed thyroid problem.  Cleo is his 13 year old sister, a dramatic overweight torti with a touch of arthritis who is currently in the middle of her annual allergic reaction to god knows what.  They're a bit rough around the edges, but super affectionate.  We loooooooooooooooooooooooove each other.  I had to leave them behind temporarily a couple of years ago when I left my ex-husband and vowed never to let it happen again, as it was clearly hard on all of us.  So, along comes this job in Saskatoon and the first thing that pops into my head is "how in the hell am I going to get the cats to Saskatchewan?"  After reviewing the options (all two of them), Cameron and Cleo will fly with me to our new home next week.  Preparations have been crazy and expensive, with online research, visits to the vet, shots, medication refills, new carriers and pet beds, collars, leashes, pee pads, calming treats and natural remedies, luggage tags...the list goes on.  And I haven't even paid for their plane 'tickets' yet (they will fly in baggage in separate kennels and hopefully we all end up in the same place at the same time...cue the nail biting).  At this very moment I'm about three seconds away from downloading "Through A Cat's Ear" from iTunes.  I'm serious.  What's another $9.99 for a collection of bioacoustically designed classical music that will keep my babies calm?!!  *sigh*  We'll get through this somehow.  Strange, they don't look overly concerned at the moment...




Personally, I've found refuge in the 'fuck it bucket,' a term coined by David Sedaris referring to a stash of candy that is consumed in times of stress.  As long as I have a fistful of chocolate covered almonds or super soft jujubes, I'm good to go.  Too bad I don't get to fly in one of these, however...


I'd like to take a moment to express deep gratitude to my Dad for agreeing to drive me and the beasts to Pearson Airport so we can take a direct flight to Saskatoon.  I know he hates driving on the 401 and Toronto is so not his idea of a good time, but he's overcoming his fears to help us out.  Big love, Dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment