Tuesday 15 October 2013

An afterthought

It occurred to me over the weekend that I haven't talked much about the actual job that is waiting for me in Saskatoon.  Oopsies.  The position is full-time Music Library Assistant in the Fine Arts Department at the Saskatoon Public Library, and is a temporary job for up to two years.  I was being a bit narrow-minded about it when I applied ("but it's not a LIBRARIAN position!"), however, when I looked closely at the job description I realized it was an opportunity that I shouldn't be so quick to pass over.  I'll get to do great stuff like in-depth reference and research, select adult CDs for the library system and maintain the collection, and put my writing skills to work through the creation of subject guides, reviews, and annotations.  There will be other fun stuff in there too, like creating displays, and assisting with programming and outreach work.  Lots of interesting tasks to sink my eager little teeth into.  So, in a lot of ways this is the perfect job for someone with a music background and a Master's in Library and Information Science...in other words, me.  I was worried about losing touch with children's materials, but I'll be doing reviews for an online publication called CM Magazine.  (My first review can be read here http://www.umanitoba.ca/cm/vol20/no5/seaotterpup.html...)  Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment