Thursday 28 November 2013

Social butterfly

That's one term I would never use to describe myself, but my presence seems to be in demand.  Drinks with a few librarians tonight, a big holiday craft show tomorrow after work, and an invite to a department Christmas party on Saturday night.  That's just this weekend...there were invites for events last weekend too.  I'm flattered and quietly excited about the attention, but as an introvert and empath (yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who feels other people's stuff: your joy, sorrow, and bodily ailments are mine as well if I'm not careful...stepping out of the freak closet here) I tend to panic at the mere mention of a social gathering.  I'm so used to spending tons of time alone and enjoying it, getting comfortable with the togetherness of the prairires is tricky.  I like being alone, it's not the same as being lonely, but maybe it's time to take a big grown up step and try spending some time with human beings too.  I just have to keep reminding myself no one is going to swallow me whole and that I will live to see the end of the evening.  If only I had that kind of wisdom in kindergarten.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment