Saturday 23 November 2013

F-f-f-freeeeeeezing!

I'm going to hazard a guess that winter arrived in Saskatoon this week.  It was cold.  In Ontario, cold meant -5 for a day or two.  Here it means -18 or more for several days straight.  I think the coldest night was Thursday, when the wind chill was -40.  Oddly, that was the night I woke up sweating because I had shut all my windows (finally) and the apartment heated up like an oven.  I muddled through the week, but even my short walk to work resulted in frozen nostrils and numb thighs.  On Friday night I went to the mall and bought a few new things to add to my winter ensemble.  This is what I've got so far...

I already had the coat, toque, and mittens (super fantastic boots too, though they're camera shy and didn't want to be in this photo).  The neck warmer is a nice alternative to a scarf that I can hitch up around my face when the cold air makes it a bit painful to breathe.  The thermal leggings on the left go under the sport pants on the right.  I haven't tried that combination out yet, but I think I might have to go back to get a pair of fleece leggings to put in between as my 'insulating layer.'  Like everything in life, the magic number of winter clothing layers appears to be three: base, insulating, and shell.  I'll get the combo right soon, as I refuse to be held hostage by the weather this winter.  It might be cold, but is it ever sunny!  It's actually really beautiful outside once I get past the I-can't-feel-my-face thing.
I'm left wondering if men in the prairies find women dressing for the elements a turn on.  We'll see.

It's Grey Cup weekend and the Saskatchewan Roughriders face off with the Hamilton Tiger Cats tomorrow.  Did I mention the game is in Regina?  Yeah...the whole province seems to be on the brink of spontaneous combustion.  Someone on the CBC website called it "the most important football game in the history of Saskatchewan" or something similar.  I went to the symphony last weekend and people were wearing Riders sweatshirts in the audience.  They love the CFL out here!  I don't understand it, but it's kind of fun to be in the middle of a large group of very excited people.  I can't imagine what will happen if the Riders win.  I'm doing my part by making chili cheeze fries and white trash football casserole (vegetarian style, of course).  Go Riders!

No comments:

Post a Comment