Friday 20 December 2013

Decisions, decisions

So tired.  So very tired.  I really enjoyed my first week as a librarian, but I'm totally wrecked.  If Cleo hadn't woken me up at 6:15am with some negative attention seeking behaviour I would have slept straight through to sunrise (which, if you're wondering, doesn't happen here until after 9am these days).  The first two days of my new job were pretty quiet, then things got kind of nuts on Wednesday.  My desk reflected my state of mind...


It's okay now, I organized before I left for the weekend...but I was a bit concerned for a while that it was going to eat me.

I went to my first committee meeting (my tummy hurt through the whole thing, but I was fine after it was over), and got a fast and dirty introduction to coordinating the exhibits in the art gallery in the fine arts department.  This was also the first week in a long time (maybe ever) that I had to make decisions that held some weight.  There weren't a lot of them and they weren't that 'heavy', but when one is used to being more of a follower than a leader making even two or three simple decisions can be daunting.  Then I saw the words "building supervisor" on the January schedule with my name next to it and I just about had a stroke.  Oh lordy...  Thankfully, it's the weekend and now all I have to decide is what pair of pyjamas I want to wear for my greatly anticipated snuggle under the duvet tonight and when to head out to the grocery store tomorrow.  I also have a number of tools at hand that will help me unwind.  Which to choose...hmmm...



I think it's quite clear from this photo that I've opted for wine with my dinner.  My best screw cap, in a juice glass.  Nothing but class. (Don't judge me.  I haven't had time to buy wine glasses.)

This new librarian also wants to draw your attention to a wonderful shout-out from CBC's Jian Ghomeshi, who devoted his opening essay today to the library.   Three Canadian public libraries made the top 5 in a list of best libraries in the world, which just about blew my socks off.  Amazing.  You can listen to the audio essay here http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2013/12/20/q-essay-three-cheers-for-libraries/  Seriously, if I didn't think Jian was super hot before, I sure do now.  Meow.


No comments:

Post a Comment