Saturday 4 April 2015

Bunnies, Madonna, and some other stuff

I love Easter weekend.  Not only is there chocolate (Creme Eggs were on sale at the drugstore today...) but I get more time off work than I do at Christmas.  And the weather is nice.  It's good, I enjoy it even though I have no real connection to the holiday itself in terms of spirituality or tradition.  Cameron enjoys it too: we had no fewer than 12 cuddles yesterday.  It was one of those days that I would have liked to put him in a Snugli so I could get a bit more done while we were being affectionate.

In a weird but somewhat characteristic move, I managed to schedule a music discussion night at the library right after Easter that could be considered ill-timed or timely, depending on who you ask.  We'll be listening to and discussing Madonna's 1989 album, "Like a Prayer," on Wednesday evening.  You remember that one: it really stirred the pot, thanks to its tantalizing mix of religion and promiscuity.  Who could forget those burning crosses?  We were all going to go to hell for watching that video (although all I really noticed as a young person was that Madonna had really fabulous hair in that video)!  I didn't schedule this music club subject to fall after a heavy Christian holiday on purpose, but I find it amusing nonetheless.  I've been pushing a regular library patron/Gallery committee member to come to a discussion night, as he kept saying he'd show up one of these months.  He was delighted to hear we'd be doing Madonna and then told me I should dress up for the evening as Madge did in her video for "Dress You Up."  I'll leave it up to you to decide if it suits me, watch here.  I could certainly dance like that.  ;)

I do my first presentation at a library conference in just over a month and started to put it together today.  I was immediately reminded of all the presentations I did in library school...ugh.  I'm in a much better place mentally now than I was during that whole mess, thankfully.  I should be just fine getting up and talking in front of people, though I suspect the difference between library school and professional conferences is that people might actually be listening at the conferences.  Hmmmm.  I'll plan accordingly.

So, I got myself a new doctor and went in for a physical last week, like the diligent person I am (usually).  It was all going tickety-boo until she read my lab report and told me I might have kidney stones.  Um, excse me?  I'm one of those people who has, in the past, taken her complaints of pain and discomfort and weirdness to the doctor, only to be told that there is nothing wrong.  Blood tests, CT scans, and ultrasounds never show anything even though I hurt, so to be told that a test came back funky (too much calcium floating around in my body) was a bit mind blowing.  I've had some pain under my ribs on one side and in my lower back, but decided to ignore it because there isn't ever anything physically wrong with me.  I suspect that if there is a problem, it stems from not dealing with some sort of uncomfortable emotion, rather than a crappy lifestyle choice, so I only have myself to blame for not taking the advice that I give so many other people.  I will not stuff down my emotions, I will not stuff down my emotions, I will not stuff down my emotions.  I am, however, enjoying not stuffing down spinach right now (doctor's orders).  I'll have more answers in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment