Tuesday 3 June 2014

Expotitions on land and water

It's here!  IT'S HERE!!!!!  Spring, I mean.  My god, did it ever take its sweet time arriving.  It was still snowing at the end of April and I really started to wonder if it was ever going to warm up, while considering taking to my bed in protest.  But it's all good now.  The leaves came out in less than a week, and it's so green and pretty here now.  I'm about 75% less grumpy and practically skip to work everyday now.  Happy dance!

I've been out a lot on my bike and on foot in the past few weeks.  Unfortunately, I can't carry my phone with me when I ride so I don't have many pictures from my treks.  Here are a few, from one of the first warm days.  It was still pretty brown by the river, but there were definitely signs of life...




Not sure what these actually are, but I didn't really care the day I took the picture because it was such a relief to see something ALIVE.




The pelicans hang out by the weir to fish.  I was so excited to see them for the first time that I was practically jumping up and down squealing to the people next to me.  Ahem.  I don't think I've ever seen pelicans in a natural setting and I still love watching them do their thing when I pass by.




I think I took this on one of my 10k walks next to the river.  I was on the east side of the river; during the winter I stuck to the west side.  One morning I decided to take the trail right next to the water, but it got rough and steep quickly.  I ended up on all fours at one point, climbing up the embankment, and decided that perhaps it would be best to get back onto the paved pathway.  Falling in the river isn't on my to-do list.

I joined the canoe club here.  For a very reasonable fee I get the access code to the storage space where they keep a selection of canoes, kayaks, and other essentials for paddling on the river.  I have very little experience in a canoe; in the past I've aligned myself with men who know exactly what they're doing so I can just sit in the bow of the boat and look pretty.  I decided it was time to learn myself up, so I took a learn to canoe mini course this past weekend.  I got a handle on some basics, like canoe safety, how to launch (I excelled at this...tres graceful!), and a few essential paddling strokes.  It was fun and I learned a lot, but I was cooked by noon.  The instructor wanted to show me one more stroke and I had to tell him my brain was full.  I don't have pictures from the class as I was worried someone would tip the boat and we'd all end up in the pond (a smelly, dirty storm sewer reservoir...puke), so I left my phone on dry land.  If you want to see me in action, you'll have to meet me for a paddle.  :)

No blog post is complete without random pictures of cats...




Cameron is a little too interested in my food.  Here, he decides if he likes cauliflower and red lentil soup.  Verdict: no, he does not.  At least he remained seated on the chair for the duration of the meal.



Cleo refused to get off the mattress a couple of weeks ago when I had to make the bed after doing laundry.  I covered her up in the duvet, where she growled and pawed madly at the covers...but then posed like her cute little princess self for this picture.  So deceptive.




This is my new friend, Hepburn.  I live right above another librarian and when she's away I hang out with her fur child.  She's very loving, perhaps a little aggressive in showing you the love, but it's nice to have a new buddy to cuddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment